10.27.2010

because food is important

I think it's funny when people say, "You're really into food." I mean, isn't everybody? It's a biological need. But I see what they mean. I know a guy who lives off of cereal and protein shakes. The only way I'm eating like that is if I'm in the hospital, in which case, pull the plug.

While I loved food my whole life, I don't think I really understood it until I started to cook. How it truly has a life all its own. How it speaks to you. Reminds you who you are sometimes. For example, I could be 100 years old, but if I somehow get a bite of Grandma Boyd's apple dumplings, I am instantly 10 years old again and it's Thanksgiving.

Sometimes food simply brings chaos into order. My favorite line from the film Julie and Julia comes when Julie Powell is making chocolate cream pie and she says to her husband, "You know what I love about cooking? I love that after a day when nothing is sure and when I say nothing, I mean nothing, you can come home and absolutely know that if you add egg yolks to chocolate and sugar and milk, it will get thick. That's such a comfort."


And as many great minds said long before me, food brings people together figuratively and literally. I mean, if I'm in Virginia Beach and you're in New York, but we've both eaten at Ben's Chili Bowl in Washington, D.C., we have something in common and a shared connection.

So yeah, I'm into food. I love to cook. 'Cause food is important and I suspect it's bigger than me.


Had Something to Say - Cooking from Food author Michael Ruhlman on Vimeo.


~jennifer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...