10.29.2010

i still believe in frank turner

I can tell you the exact moment I fell in love with Frank Turner.

I am writing in this restaurant downtown on a slow Sunday night, and the playlist going on overhead is some of the weirdest that I've ever heard. If I recall, they go from Snoop Dogg's "Gin and Juice" to Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" in less than three songs. It is my kinda joint.

Anyway, this song comes on, and I hear a man with an English accent sing about all the girls he's lost. He shrugs it off with this line: "Music is my substitute for love."


And there you have it. Before I can say, "Me too," I download his album Love Ire & Song and his cover of Postal Service's "The District Sleeps Alone Tonight".

It's hard to describe Frank Turner's music. Irreverent rally songs. Acoustic punk for the rest of us. Music to start your own penniless revolution.

I don't know, but whenever I need a reminder that maybe changing the world isn't too far off, I turn this on.



"Now who would have thought, that after all, something as simple as rock'n'roll would save us all"

~jennifer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...