10.25.2010

recipe: real simple's brown butter biscuits

The Good Journal: Brown Butter Biscuits

Many years ago, I took scissors to my growing collection of Real Simple Magazine issues, cut out their "Five Easy Recipes" and made a folder of my favorites. Now, out of all the cookbooks that I've received over the years, this homemade binder is the one I refer to the most. One recipe in particular I probably make at least once a month.

The Good Journal: The Making of Brown Butter Biscuits


Brown Butter Biscuits
from Real Simple Magazine
(adapted ever so slightly to my own tastes and laziness)

Ingredients:
1/2 stick of unsalted butter
1 cup and 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon of sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/8 cup of milk (the notch between 1/2 and 1/4 on your measuring cup)

Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a skillet, melt butter on medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon. In about a minute or so, it will turn golden brown, emitting a nutty smell. Remove it from heat and let it cool at room temperature.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Gently stir in the brown butter and milk. Scoop out a large spoonful (perhaps a bit smaller than your fist) and place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Makes about 5 to 7 biscuits.

The Good Journal: Brown Butter Biscuits

By the way, these reheat like a dream within the same week in a slightly warm oven for 10 minutes.

~jennifer

1 comment:

  1. Looks good. I like the Easy recipes the best, both in real simple and cooking light. But I agree with the post a few days ago--sometimes a girl just needs a bag of Doritos. I also try and stay away from the prepackaged food, but when I'm in a rush, I end up eating very strange things. Or just a bunch of carrots. And really. I'm not a wabbit. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I look forward to seeing the foodie writing. OK, gotta go. Hungry now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...