10.12.2010

what's good: fettucini with butternut squash, sage and brown butter



I said I would take it easy this week, but last night, I found myself preheating the oven and chopping butternut squash to the tune of Dean Martin. I really don't know how it happened.

Okay, I have a slight idea. It all started with an empty stomach and a Google search.

I told my friends a week ago that I was in possession of a butternut squash for the first time in my life and needed some recipes. I got some great ideas, but seeing that I blew all my discretionary income on some hipster clothes from the Lucky Brand store, I couldn't get any additional ingredients from the market. Everything for this dish had to come from inside the house.

So I did some searching and landed on this gem from the kitchn (yes, without the "e") -- Fettucini with Butternut Squash, Sage & Brown Butter. It looked too good to pass up, so I got to work.



I had that bow-tie organic pasta, which served me just fine.

The recipe calls for real sage, but all I had was ground. Yes, I know from the looks of that picture that I put too much in. Eh, work with the kid.



This was a brilliant excuse to use the rest of my pine nuts. Lightly toasted, these little beauties are my favorite flavor enhancers. Often times, while cooking with them, I'll just start tossing back handfuls. Don't know what the cholesterol situation is with these nuts and really don't want to know.



As advertised, it took less than 30 minutes and after I ground up some cheese and sprinkled it on top, I had a sophisticated dish perfect for a balmy autumn night.

It's good stuff. See for yourself. Fettucini with Butternut Squash, Sage & Brown Butter

~jennifer.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the exact same way (and do the exact same thing)....... with pine nuts. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...