1.28.2011

what's good: grilled cheese and tomato soup

As I write this, I've been groaning with pleasure into my food for the last ten minutes.

Behold the power of a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich with tomato soup.


Soup and sandwich is nothing new. I'm not reinventing the wheel here, but the stars aligned on this one.

I used this recipe from Food Network: Homemade Tomato Soup by Michael Chiarello. However, a few changes...

First, I didn't roast my tomatoes. I think if you're dealing with fresh tomatoes then it's necessary, but canned? Nah, drain it a little and keep going.

Second, as you know I would, I added chopped peppers and a teaspoon of the juice the peppers are in. To call it "a kick" is an understatement. Spicy hotness.

Third and last, I never puree my tomato soup. I like the carrots, celery and onion to still have some crunch when I get a spoonful. I like the texture of the tomatoes after they've simmered. To me, the flavor is bolder and tangibly unfolds in your mouth.

As for the sandwich, I've done this before, if you recall the grilled gouda experiment. Same recipe somewhat. I used a French loaf, sharp cheddar cheese and cherry wood bacon.

I cook the bacon in the oven and use some of the drained fat in the skillet along with a 1/4 of a tablespoon of butter to brown the bread. Outstandingly delicious.

I'm finished with my soup and sandwich now, but I'm still thinking about it. And with any luck, I'll dream of it tonight.

~jennifer.

1 comment:

  1. I've never made my own tomato soup, but the idea of your non-pureed delight up there sounds AMAZING! so does the idea of using the drained bacon fat with the bread! How have I NEVER thought of that? Thanks! Anything with bacon will win me over.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...